Outdoors, Culture and Nature Guiding
The study programme includes compulsory courses that provide students with:
- Basic skills in simple outdoor activities in various types of natural environment
- Basic experience in teaching outdoor activities and educational guiding
- Insight into the history and development of outdoor life
- Insight into the management of Norwegian outdoor life
- The ability to assess one’s own competence and to choose routes according to participants’ ability
- A basis for reflecting on attitudes and experiences related to outdoor life, society, culture, nature and people
In addition to compulsory winter and glacier modules, students will select up to four of the following outdoors specialisations:
- The Environment and Life Quality
Crafts and Creativity in Nature
In the second and third years of the study programme, students will take Winter II courses, either “Steep”, “Expedition-Style” or “Mountain and Moor”. In addition, students may choose to specialize further in up to two of the following courses:
- Kayaking, Ocean
- Canoeing, White Water
The study programme comprises approximately 100 supervised days outdoors and 50 days without supervision. There is also some practical training.
Please note that the study programme is physically demanding and requires that students are in relatively good shape.
The first year of the Bachelor’s degree study programme is equivalent to the one-year study programme: Outdoor Life, Culture & Nature Guiding.
Employment may be found in folk high schools and outdoor pursuits centres. Other possibilities include working as an outdoors guide in the tourism sector or as an outdoor life supervisor within health, rehabilitation and social work. Positions may also be found in outdoor life management within the public sector, or with voluntary organizations such as the Norwegian Trekking Association.
If a student has also completed the Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PPU) (60 ECTS), this will meet the qualification requirements for becoming a secondary-school teacher. Telemark University College is the only university college that offers the PPU study programme with subject didactics in outdoor life.
This study programme also qualifies graduates for admission to the college’s Master’s degree programme in Physical Education, Sport and Outdoor Life Studies.